BURO. birthstone: Everything to know about October's opal
For the month of October, the spotlight falls on opal – the month's birthstone is believed to symbolize confidence and faithfulness.
Here, we hear from the Gulf Institute of Gemology's CEO, Fabio D’Amico, who share fun facts about this month's birthstone...
- The alluring Opal is the birthstone for October and comes in a plethora of colours, however, the rarest and most valuable are the black opals.
- Opals are also the gemstone given to commemorate a couple’s 14th year of marriage.
- The term “opal” is believed to have originated from the Sanskrit word “upala”, but the Romans gave it the name opalus, meaning “precious stone.”
- The ancient Greeks believed that opal came from the tears of Zeus, the God of Lightning, after winning a battle against the Titans. His tears turned into opal when they landed upon the earth.
- Ancient Arab tribes thought opals were sent from heaven to earth on a lightning bolt and that opal itself contains the power of lightning. The Romans considered the opal as a symbol of love and hope.
Now, discover Hublot's new haute joaillerie collection.