BURO. birthstone: Everything to know about September's sapphires
For the month of September, the spotlight falls on sapphire – the month's birthstone believed to protect those close to you from harm, as well as can represent loyalty and trust.
Here, we hear from the Gulf Institute of Gemology's Luxury Academy Director, Eva Kountouraki, who share fun facts about this month's birthstone...
- The Blue colour of fine sapphires is the standard against which all the other blue gemstones are judged.
- In 1881, a landslide revealed one of the world’s greatest finds: enthroned in an elevation of more than 4500m the famous Kashmir blues were exposed to the world! Those sapphires had such a special character that was never found again elsewhere, and the supply of fine material lasted for a few years before it got exhausted.
- Fine Kashmir sapphires are still seen in the auction houses’ catalogues and command the highest prices
- Although sapphire’s most popular and valuable colour is blue, this beautiful gemstone comes in a wide variety of colours, ranging from pink, orange, green, purple, yellow and even, colourless.
- Sapphire is one of the most durable gemstones. It has great resistance to scratching and breaking and is very stable to chemical attacks and thermal shock, which makes it the perfect choice for jewellery.
- Sapphires have been prized for millennia among several cultures, and many ancient civilizations dedicated them to their Gods. Ancient Greeks dedicated sapphire to Zeus, the principal God of the Greek pantheon.
- A potent symbol of divine favour, nobility and truth, blue sapphire was often the choice of kings and priests.
- The majority of blue sapphires mined in the world is either very dark or too light, or have uneven colouration. So, we have developed various techniques, such as thermal treatment, to enhance their appearance and make them more marketable.
- Sapphire and ruby are both varieties of the mineral species Corundum and share the same chemical and physical properties, making them identical except for their colour.
Now, discover Louis Vuitton's LV Volt jewellery collection.