Buro 24/7 Interview: Laura Bailey for Loquet London
Model, writer, creative director
Loquet London is a British luxury jewellery concept created by Sheherazade Goldsmith and style icon Laura Bailey that launched just one year ago. It's signature gold-framed crystal ‘Loquet’ is designed to open and be personalised with collectable charms and birthstones, amking each one individual and elegant.
From a lucky horseshoe, a gold initial, a 'September' sapphire or a diamond studded shooting star, each piece can truly be called bespoke – something that the brand likes to call "a love letter coded in charms."
- Sheherazade Goldsmith and Laura Bailey
Loquet necklaces have been seen on Alexa Chung, Johnny Depp, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Naomi Watts, Jourdan Dunn, Sophie Dahl, Sandra Bullock, Lily Allen, Lauren Santo Domingo and Poppy Delevingne. “Every ‘Loquet’ tells a story. Each charm represents an emotion, a special memory. What's in your world? What's in your heart?” says Goldsmith.
“Fill your virtual ‘Loquet’ with a treasure trove of luck and love, a glint of diamond, a sapphire glow. For a one-of-a kind necklace to cherish, for yourself or a loved one”, says her business partner Bailey, who personally wears hers doubled up, day and night. Buro 24/7 speaks to the style icon and one half of the brains behind the brand to find out more...
- How did you both meet?
- Sheherazade and I circled each other for a while thanks to mutual friends and crisscrossing travels before becoming close friends but I can't even remember when we actually first met. Now our kids are friends too, and our worlds are even more entwined with Loquet.
- How did your business collaboration come about?
- The idea was Sheherazade's, the bespoke locket concept something we talked about endlessly over suppers, and what started as brainstorming became a collaboration when we realised our strengths complemented each other's and that we had already developed a professional creative shorthand.
- Which separate strengths do you individually bring to the table?
- We both work on the creatives; design, website and imagery, but Sheherazade is very focused on – and brilliant at – the business side, whilst I bring my broad experience in the fashion industry and multi-tasking of modelling/styling/writing to the table.
- Why the locket?
- We've both always loved lockets, and the idea of carrying luck and love close to your heart, and dreamt of creating a modern but timeless bespoke classic.
- What’s been the most beautiful bespoke piece you have made to date?
- My favourite so far is the dinosaur charm for Alexa Chung.
- Your website is very unique, how important is digital to you?
- Very. The creation of an innovative and original – and user-friendly – website was absolutely key to our brand, and is still our best shop window, so to speak.
- What’s the best advice you have ever received and why?
- I rely constantly on the support and advice of friends and colleagues but, for inspiration and optimism, I'll steal a quote from Walt Whitman for now; “Keep your face always toward the sunshine – and shadows will fall behind you.”
- Who would you most love to see wearing your designs?
- We are so lucky that so many incredible women, and a few men that we admire, have fallen in love with Loquet, two young actresses that I admire – Alicia Vikander and Felicity Jones would be on our dream list.